Friday, 29 April 2011

Jack done

So the jack is done. It uses a diffuse and secular...


Here's a 'Hydraulic long floor jack' to add to my assets. Hoping to get it textured and done today. I think my asset creation for the level is coming to a close, just a lot of unreal work to do in the coming weeks

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Banner complete

And flag finished. Knocked back the normals a bit and added the slogan 'Freude am Fahren' which translates roughly as Joy in Driving.

Spot the difference

So the baking went better than expected, and first time! It's pretty hard to tell the difference between them, unless of course you're looking at the wires. All it needs is to clean up the holes that it's hung from and it'll be ready to hang!

Fun with cloth...

So this afternoon I've been mucking about with the cloth modifier in max to get some good high poly versions of my banners. I've got some pretty cool (but time consuming) results out of it.

My first one on the right shows my first attempt, but after tweaking the settings and 10 or so attempts later I've got the sort of thing I want. Not too stretchy but clearly a flexable material that I want my banner to be made out of.

Next I've just got to map some designs onto it and bake down the normals to a lower poly version.

All the small things....

A couple of familiar items here to help give my desks a more 'lived in' felling. It's all about the little things...

Tuesday, 26 April 2011


A trolly made out of already existing geometry and textures, just chopped and changed for a quick asset...

Monday, 25 April 2011

For your information...

Final asset for today. This is an info board used to give simple information to the drivers. I've done a load of interchangeable letters so it can be customised. Also having these spare letters piled up and scattered around will help create a bit more 'un-tidiness' in the workshop.

A dolly (I think that's what they're called). Uses the same texture and wheels as my tyre rack...

A quick cuppa...

A quick cup of tea with 3 varients. Diffuse only...

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Jerry can low poly

Quick WiP of my jerry can. Normals baked down now, with a bit of dirt on the diffuse. Still more to do...

Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Tyres in UDK

So they're in UDK now, stacked on the racks, and pushed about a bit to add a bit of interest. Neat and tidy is boring!

Jackets done

So the tyre jackets are done. Have added some texture to the dark material, to give a bit more differenciatio between the lighter dunlop strip. Also a couple of labels... because health and saftey is key! :\

Monday, 18 April 2011

Because tyres need jackets too...

So a quick WiP shot of my tyres wearing jackets. Racing teams like to take good care of their tyres, and rightfully so since they cost £20,000 a set! They use the same geometry as the actual tyre so it's just a texture swap.

z4 Wires

Here's some wire's for my standard z4 I forgot to post. It's a smidge under 18,000 a the moment. I have kind of left this alone for a while and focus more on the level, so I need to pick it up again and work in tandem with both the level and the car...

Tyre Rack

Tyre Rack done now, need to speed up after a week at home...

Friday, 8 April 2011


So I've got some WiP shots of my level. The lighting's a mess but I'm getting the assets done and imported. Slowly filling out the scene and creating areas of interest. The battle's far from over...

Monday, 4 April 2011


So here's my workbench. I'm pretty pleased with the Galvanised metal texture I've created for it and other assets. It's a combination of Custom brushes on different layers. Firstly I lay down a rough dirt layer, not with too much contrast, then over the top of that I used a blochy brush to get the the areas of light and dark. I painted this layer solid black and white and the brush provides different tones depending on pen pressure. Then set this layer to a lower opacity. On top of that goes a bit more dirt and some scratches, depending on how worn it needs to look. The specular uses these same elements only tweaked so that it gives a higher contrast, and overall lighter to give the high specular of the metal.